fbpx

Type to search

Australian Building Sites Hit by Collapse of South Africa’s WBHO

Thousands of jobs are at risk after work stopped abruptly on multiple building sites in Australia this week, when South Africa’s WBHO Group said it could no longer provide financial backing


Melbourne Australia skyline
New freight projects plan seeks to take 5,500 trucks off the roads around Melbourne every day. File photo by Reuters.

 

Thousands of jobs are at risk after work stopped abruptly on multiple building sites in Australia this week – most of them in Victoria – when South Africa’s WBHO Group said on Tuesday it could no longer provide financial support. Construction giant ProBuild is one of more than a dozen companies affected by the collapse of its parent company, which blamed the Australian government for its “hardline” stance imposed to counter the spread of Covid-19 and Canberra’s decision last year to block a takeover bid offered by a Chinese state building company.

Deloitte has been appointed as the administrator to handle the wind-up of 18 businesses that are part of the WBHO Australia Group, which has many high-profile building projects in Melbourne and several in other states. ProBuild and other companies in the group have at least 750 employees.

Read the full story: News.com.au.

 

ALSO on AF:

Australia’s Lynas Posts Record Profit on Rare Earths Demand

 

Australian Greenhouse Gas Emissions Underestimated, Report Says

 

Australia, Eyeing China, to Boost Antarctic Presence

 

 

Tags:

Jim Pollard

Jim Pollard is an Australian journalist based in Thailand since 1999. He worked for News Ltd papers in Sydney, Perth, London and Melbourne before travelling through SE Asia in the late 90s. He was a senior editor at The Nation for 17+ years and has a family in Bangkok.

logo

AF China Bond