fbpx

Type to search

US Faces Hurdles in Move to Replace China Telecom Gear

At least two-thirds of applications to reimburse US carriers for the ‘rip and replace’ of China telecom equipment deemed national security threats are deficient, the FCC has told Congress


The FCC estimates the cost to remove the telecom equipment from Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE from the "rip and replace" programme is $5.3bn
The FCC estimates the cost estimate to remove the equipment from companies like Huawei and ZTE from the "rip and replace" programme is $5.3 billion, much higher than what Congress set aside. Photo: Reuters.

 

At least two-thirds of applications to reimburse US carriers for removing China telecommunications equipment deemed national security threats are deficient, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) told Congress.

Of the 181 applications filed by mostly rural carriers under a $1.9 billion program, 122 were found to be “initially materially deficient”, FCC chair Jessica Rosenworcel said.

The FCC told applicants they have 15 days to fix their applications to remove China telecom equipment, and it “expects to complete this process by July 15.”

The FCC currently estimates the cost estimate to remove the telecom equipment from Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE Corp from the “rip and replace” programme is $5.3 billion, much higher than what Congress set aside.

In July 2021, the FCC voted to finalise the programme that had been funded by Congress in December 2020.

 

ALSO SEE: China Lockdowns Prompt iPhone Supplier to Look Elsewhere

 

 

China Telcos ‘Security Threats’

The FCC designated China telecom firms Huawei and ZTE as national security threats to communications networks in July 2020 – a declaration that barred US firms from tapping an $8.3 billion government fund to purchase equipment from the companies.

The FCC in December 2020 adopted rules requiring carriers with ZTE or Huawei equipment to “rip and replace” that equipment.

The issue is a big one for rural carriers that face high costs and difficulty finding workers to remove and replace China telecom equipment.

Huawei said last year the “FCC initiative only creates extraordinary challenges for carriers in the most rural/remote areas of the US to maintain the same high level and quality of service they provide to their customers without disruption.”

Rosenworcel’s letter noted the FCC “will allocate funding first to approved applications that have 2 million or fewer customers.”

She said to date “all but one of the eligible applicants falls within the first prioritization group, and the collective demand of these applicants exceeds available funds for the program.”

 

  • Reuters with additional editing by Jim Pollard

 

 

ALSO READ:

 

US Probes Chipmaker for Huawei Sanctions Violations – FT

 

China’s Huawei Halts Russia Orders, Sends Staff Home: Forbes

 

Huawei Faces Dilemma Over Russia Links – FT

 

China says US ‘Black Hand’ on Huawei, ZTE Causing Anxiety

 

 

 

Jim Pollard

Jim Pollard is an Australian journalist based in Thailand since 1999. He worked for News Ltd papers in Sydney, Perth, London and Melbourne before travelling through SE Asia in the late 90s. He was a senior editor at The Nation for 17+ years and has a family in Bangkok.

logo

AF China Bond